Wednesday 3 December 2008

> Oh Holy Mama



OMG YES! They're FINALLY back... and this time it's not just some random gig at the local gayclub! The two most fabulous sisters of Sweden - Lili & Susie - will do a big comeback (hopefully at the biggest gayclub in Stockholm = Globe Arena) in Melodifestivalen 2009 (I feel like putting on pink and red lipstick... and I'm a guy! :-()

I've been a fan of L&S for about five years and I've managed to get all their CDs but one. Therefore I know what a brilliant pop-duo they were and that my expectations of their entry "Show Me Heaven" are high. I'll try and be realistic though... I know I can't expect another "Oh Mama" nor "Sending Out a Message", not even a "What's the Colour of Love".
Just the fact that they are back is amazing.

I assume most of my readers have no idea who they are, so I will share some of my favourite songs from them and hope you'll like what you hear, if not, go and see a doctor. Instead of individual links you'll get all the tracks in a zipped file.


Sending Out a Message
It's a crime this is not one of their most known songs. It's just as catchy as you want it to be and it really shows the best sides of the 80s. It's co-written by Alexander Bard (Yes, he was a pop-genius back then already.) I really wish they would re-record this, I know it could be a hit.

We Were Only Dancing
Yet another pop-classic. Simple as that.

Robert and Marie

There's a bunch of other tracks from Anytime that I could share with you but I felt this one needed to be heard first. It's a ballad. It sounds a bit ABBA-ish. Think "The Day Before You Came" and you'll get a good picture. It's a bit depressing-sounding but beautiful.


What's the Colour of Love
L&S were not only active in the 80s but also in the early 90s. They released two albums and The Sisters was the better one. From this album we got two big hits: "Boyfriend" and "What's the Colour of Love" - the last one being one of the most iconic songs. Enjoy this one, I know I do... everytime!

Evelyn
Now this is quite different. It's more of a rock-ballad and will perhaps remind you of The Bangles?! Or some other American girl-rock-band. Really nice.


Bara Du och Jag (Only You and I)
L&S also recorded tracks in Swedish and "Bara Du och Jag" was their biggest Swedish hit and one of my favourites (Surprise, eh!)

Okey, Okey
Did you know they already participated in Melodifestivalen? They did in fact. Back in 1989. They actually competed against Sofia Källgren (mentioned in my previous post) and Orup (the guy who's constantly working with Lena Ph.) None of them won but they sure did a great performance and if "Show Me Heaven" is even half as good as this one I will be over the moon.

Oh Mama

If there's one song you should know it is this one. It was pretty obvious Bard was inspired by this when he wrote "Lay All Your Love on Me" for BWO, you'll hear the similarites.

Mega Mix
A good mega mix of their biggest hits, it features a couple of songs I did not (yet) share with you.

Download:

Breathe in... breathe out... that's it for now. I could continue but I wouldn't want to over-do it. Enjoy and please come back soon... ;-)

2 comments:

Poster Girl said...

Yay! Thanks for this, Alex--I only had two of their albums and "Okay Okay" (English version), so I've been missing out on a lot of their stuff :D

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for this! Have been looking for some of these tracks for a long time! Really appreciate it.